Friday, March 25, 2011

I have nothing to write about.

I really feel like I have nothing to write about.  I do have a little thing called a sprint triathlon in two weeks, but that is really all.  For some reason I don't feel the same amount of pressure for this race that I did for the marathon I ran in January.  Maybe it is because I am not injured or sick.  Or maybe it is because I don't feel like I have put the proper training in and my goal is to just survive and reach the finish line.  The lack of training is not my fault and all my fault.  I was sick for a few weeks, which cut into it.  Then I had about a good week and half of training.  Then my BFF from high school came to visit.  The week she was hear I started off strong and got my workouts in.  However, towards the end of the week I slacked.  She was fine with me going, but I felt bad taking time out of our time together.  We don't get to see each other that often, and she flew all the way here to see me.  I have to say it really gave me a greater respect for people who do this and have kids.  I typically only have my time to worry about.  I don't really have to worry about Jeff, b/c he is training too, and way more than me!  Hats off to those of you with kids and juggle all of this training.

I think another reason my training has been lacking is because I am a very structured person and need a schedule and rules to follow.  When I have to much time on my hands it isn't good. Being unemployed has given me to much time.  When I wake up in the morning I think, eh, I can go run/bike/swim later.  I have no where to be.  I bet when I start working again(see below) my training time will double.  Now, I just watch reruns of The Golden Girls.

This week I was back on track with my running and swimming.  I actually did a lot more running than I was "suppose" to b/c I am participating in The Cupcake Marathon.  The bike training, not so much.  I DESPISE the trainer.  It is horrible, and should only be used for punishment purposes.  Like when your spouse says "your not that fat anymore." (Yes, that happened, but that is a whole different story!) Anyway, I have kind of justified that fact that my bike training hasn't been there by the fact that I completed a 44 mile bike ride 2 weeks ago, and the distance I have to ride in the sprint is only 12 miles.  Plus this weekend I am doing a 56 mile ride with Jeff.  So that makes up for the lack of bike training.  I need to either get over the trainer thing, or start going out on my own, which I don't like the idea of either.  I guess I will figure it out.

I might also need to change the name of my blog.  As some of you may know, I was laid off in January.  This week I went on an interview and got a job!  However, it is not in retail.  I loved working in retail, with clothes and fashion, and many different types of people, and not to mention a great discount!  However, there are also down sides to the industry.  Sporadic hours, evenings, weekends, the holiday season, late, late nights, and crazy people.  When I got laid off I thought I might be able to use it as an opportunity to try a new field, still utilizing my skills, and maybe have a more stable schedule.  So, I am going to be working in an office, Monday thru Friday, 9-5.  Evenings and weekends off.  I am very excited at this prospect.  Nights at home with my husband.  Being able to enjoy weekends and not feel guilty when I need them off for our races.  Not having to work Black Friday!!  But I am no longer going to be the retail runner.  Maybe I can rename this, "Just a runner, trying out this whole Triathlon thing."  What are your suggestions?

7 comments:

  1. Must have been another husband who said that to you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you love retail and wwere obviously good at it you are going to be able to do ANYTHING and be totally awesome at it. Retail is freakin hard!

    actually great approach leading your your sprint tri, I bet u will have fun - and I think thats great you and Jeff get to go out for a 56mile ride!

    D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the "I have nothing to write about" title and then you have so much to say. All the best with the new job, sounds like great hours for tri training.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice one Jeff. If it makes you feel any better, I once told my wife, "You do not need to get any fatter". haha. It was actually meant as a compliment at the time.

    Congrats and good luck on the new endeavor!

    ReplyDelete
  5. congrats on your new gig! Not working black friday will be huge for you I'm sure!! hope that 56 mile ride went well!!

    ReplyDelete