Saturday, December 11, 2010

Inaugural post....here it goes.

So, I've been wanting to do a blog for a while now, but really didn't know what I would write about. Then a follower of my husbands blog, danglethecarrot, found this and gave me the inspiration I needed. She said........write "About shoes!!!!
About you!!I
About that girl in your back seat."

And today was really the kind of day that made me choose the title "Retail Runner" and was my second inspiration to get started. Today, in my second year of marathon training, I ran 18.92 miles, went home for a quick breakfast, cooked by my wonderful husband, showered, and then headed off for an 8 hour shift.........at the mall..........two weeks before Christmas. During the run, I ran with a guy who told me that after the run, he and his wife were going to be getting on a plane and going to Vegas. Pretty sure I would rather be doing that, but such is life. I don't necessarily think I am the ONLY person in retail who runs or who is training for a marathon. Actually, I know another store manager who runs. But today SUCKED. Overall, the run went ok. The first 12 miles I felt pretty strong. But after that things kinda fell apart. I hope it is because I knew I had an 8 hour shift, on my feet, ahead of me. Which of course, will not be happening after that marathon!!! Anyway, I pushed though and finished the run, but my pace was not what I was hoping, and was not what I need it to be to meet my goal of a 4:30:00 marathon. I was sore and tight at work, and limped around all day, wishing I was like, what I imagine, everyone else that ran today, sitting down, resting and maybe even getting a massage. But I also know that it took a little something extra to not be doing that.

Oh, and about the girl in the backseat. That is my friend Ruth Ann, who, with two kids, has joined me on this marathon journey. I am sure you will learn more about her soon!

11 comments:

  1. Welcome to the blogosphere babe! Many, many hours of free therapy are available here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to blogland! Please count me in as one of your followers!

    And may I just say thanks! You are a saint for working retail during the holiday season! I don't know how you do that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Annie!! Welcome to blogging, looking forward to following you! Holy cow, retail during the holiday season...tough stuff!

    Funny how you can mentally just shut yourself down on a run sometimes - way to push through. You are doing awesome with training, keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I told Jeff that I am rooting for you to chick him at tri, team annie all the way

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved Jeff's "therapy" comment so true.

    YAY "girl in the back seat" has a name!! YAY Ruth ANN!!

    18.92 miles ---- then to deal with people LIKE me for 8 hours. You've already earned your 4:30 marathon!

    Can I just say how happy I am that you are writing!!

    YAY YOU!!!!!

    Now we just need to go shopping!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome to the blogosphere. If Jeff has the carrot, do you have the stick?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I promise to start my blog tomorrow...LOL! But in the meantime, I cannot begin to tell you how much you helped me along those last few miles...it was meant for me to skip that loop around the lake in order for you to keep me going during those rough spots! You are awesome, tough, and amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, signed- the girl in the back seat! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  9. EMZ,
    Do you think you can call the RD and get that worked out? Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete